(Photo) Miss Minnesota Tiffany Ogle (left) shared the joy with Allison Lordbock as she was crowned Miss Brainerd Lakes 2005 by 2004 Miss Brainerd Lakes Quinn Nystrom at Tornstrom Auditorium. Nystrom gave up her title but will compete in the Miss Minnesota 2005 pageant this week in St. Paul.
30 years ago (1995)
Although many changes have been made to the Confidence Learning Center Golf and Fishing Tournaments, the purpose remains the same: raise money to support the camp. A survey showed that most participants didn’t care if a celebrity was on their team, thus more money can go to the camp.
40 years ago (1985)
The Railroad line from Brainerd to International Falls will be abandoned effective June 24, it was learned today. A letter to the county board from MnDOT told the news. This clears the way for the Bluewater Line, a proposed steam excursion railroad, to perhaps move forward.
60 years ago (1965)
(Adv.) One night only at the Gull Drive-In Theatre, Spook-a-Thon Triple Feature: “Brides of Dracula,” “The Mummy” and “Curse of the Werewolf.” At the newly re-opened Brainerd Theatre: James Bond is back in “Goldfinger,” starring Sean Connery as Agent 007 James Bond.
80 years ago (1945)
The Brainerd Cubs mauled Buckman to a buff by a score of 13-2, with Nygren and Busby on the mound. The game could have been a thriller if errors would have been lowered. Pierz galloped over Cronquist Corners in a 33 to 3 heartbreaker.
100 years ago (1925)
Miss Thelma Reis and Miss Marion Opsahl, of Brainerd, have been teaching in the Hawaiian Islands for the past year and left the islands on June 10. They are bound for Brainerd but are visiting San Francisco, Portland and Seattle on their way home.
8/46: First shipment of iron ore on the Cuyuna Range from the Kennedy Mine.
27/46: People in the Northern Pacific Railroad depot waiting area, circa 1910. Source: ‘Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area’, Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
28/46: Chicago Tavern on Gilbert Lake circa 1938-1943. Dancing and food. Al LaBarre was the owner. Source: ‘Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area’ published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
29/46: State Champion was this Brainerd amateur baseball team of 1894, which later saw two of those players advance to the major leagues. Pictured here are (front row) Frary, catcher; Phyle, rf-pit.; Howe, pit., rf; C. McCarthy, 1st; (middle row) Burgum, shortstop, W.P. Buckley, manager; Hill; 3rd; (back row) W. McCarthy, cf; Blandy, lf; Warner, 2nd. Source: ‘Brainerd Minnesota 1871 – 1971’. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1971.
35/46: Brainerd Fire Department. Dispatch archives
36/46: W.E. Lively, the hustling Maxwell auto dealer, has sold a Maxwell to Joseph Johnson. Pictured is a Maxwell Mascotte Touring 1911 by Lars-Göran Lindgren Sweden – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1526033
37/46: This truck belonged to Silas Hall’s Transfer Line just after World War I. It was used for hauling freight from the NP (Northern Pacific Railroad) depot to stores around town as well as for other kinds of moving. The picture was taken in front of the railroad freight office. Before the truck, Silas Hal used teams of horses and wagons which he kept at 415 Main (now Washington Street). Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 – 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
38/46: The 1916 Brainerd police force, pictured here, included the following men: The plain clothes men at either end were Jack Brandt (left) and Ted Nesheim; (front row, left to right) Charles Varner, chief, and Tom Templeton. (Rear, left to right) Erick Graff, Hans Saude and August Swanson. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 – 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
39/46: This building at Seventh and Laurel, still a well-known landmark in Brainerd, was the home of the Citizen’s State Bank, from 1909 to 1927, when the bank then moved to quarters across the street. This picture was taken in 1913. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 – 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
40/46: The “fill” grounds skating rink, located near Franklin Junior High School, winter of 1938-39. Source: ‘Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area’, Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
41/46: 60 years ago (1959) (Photo) Robert Dobson, 15, is interested in how long he can keep a kite aloft. He launched a kite at 3 p.m. yesterday near the court house and it’s still flying despite a near disaster when a truck caught the kite string. The weatherman says it will remain windy today. Photo illustration, Metro Creative Graphics, Inc.
42/46: Brainerd Dispatch archives
43/46: The state hospital campus on Highway 18.
44/46: Santa takes a ride during a Christmas parade in downtown Brainerd.
45/46: Children crowd around Santa during downtown Brainerd Christmas festivities.